Ever since we launched Ride the City, we've been getting requests for a mobile version of the application. Well, here it is: Link to iTunes Preview. The app costs $1.99 and is available for New York City; we will be rolling out apps for the other cities soon.
The app gives you most of the great functionality of the web application but in a pocket-sized, location-aware package (it also works on the iPod touch and iPad). Key features of the Ride the City - NYC iPhone app include:
- As on the website, the iPhone app steers you toward routes that maximize the use of bike lanes, bike paths, greenways, and other bike-friendly streets. Routes avoid high-traffic streets and steep climbs.
- You can select your preferred route sensitivity: direct, safe, or safer. Or you can change them on the fly.
- The directions are displayed on the map with an easy-to-read scrollable screen – perfect for double-checking your trip when taking a break.
- Find the nearest bike shops (and get directions to one) with just one touch.
- We've placed a Report an Error button prominently on the map so you can provide instant feedback to report a mistake on the map or to suggest a better way around.
- As on the website, Ride the City utilizes a CloudMade basemap that is sourced from OpenStreetMap, the volunteer community mapping project that is making a free map of the world.
This app might never have happened without our good friends at Door3, who were committed to this project from the beginning, and fun to work with. Pete, Jackson, Ryan, JT, Francesca, thank you!
We'd also like to say that that this is version 1.0. Look forward to a steady stream of improvements and enhancements over time! If you find problems of your own or if you have suggestions for future functionality that you'd like to see, please let us know.
Finally, if you find the app useful, please consider rating it. Thanks!